
After some exploration of different backpacks for women, I opted for the Osprey Xenon 85 in Pacific Blue. This will be the only pack I'll carry since I'll be using the top as a lumbar pack during my daily explorations.
It's a large volume pack designed with a woman's fit and comfort in mind. It has a molded hip belt to help the weight distribution. The weight capacity is 50-70lbs...I wonder if I'm exceeding it.
I'll be carrying everything in zip lock bags. It helps keep my pack organized and adds an extra layer of waterproofing. Let's see what I'm bringing (I might have to take some things out to make room for purchases).
Shoes, shoes, shoes! - Merrell Chameleon Arc Gore-Tex hiking boots, trainers for running, every day reef flips, havana flips for the shower and beach and dressy flips for the fun late nights.
Clothes - Trying to bring the least amount but cover 10-14 day wears and all occasions. I might have to cut some out of the pack. I have 3 bras, 3 ribbed tank tops, 2 dress tank tops, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of running shorts, 2 pairs of convertible pants, 10 pairs of socks, 3 sports bras, 3 swim suits, 2 light long sleeves, 3 t-shirts, 1 ski wool top, 2 dri-fit tank tops, 10 undies, and 2 dresses. Maybe too much stuff...will reconsider soon enough...
Sun protection and eyewear - Brimmed hat, lightweight sports cap, glasses and sun glasses

Rain Jacket - North Face Venture Jacket to keep me nice and dry. I also like this one because it has pit zip vents and is stowable in the left hand side pocket making it truly compact.

Liquids - I am going to bring a months worth of liquids to get me through Africa. Liquids include: 30 SPF sunscreen, Pantene shampoo and conditioner, travel size bar soap and hand sanitizer, baby oil for moisture and shaving, shaver and blades, deodorant, face wash, body lotion, hair product, floss, toothpaste and tooth brush, day SPF lotion, night cream, contacts, comb, hair ties, and bobby pins.
Make up - Besides the fact that I'm cute (j/k), I want to look decent in the thousands of photo shots I'll be in...so I opted to take my full make up kit. My bare essential foundation set and the necessary brushes, eyeshadow, mascara, tweezer, sharpener for the eyeliner, eyeliner, nail filer, nail clipper, cuticle trimmer, lip balm with SPF 15, acne creme, mirror, and sample perfume (sometimes you need to feel like a girl).

And this all fits in my nice little toiletry bag!
Electronics - There will be no mini laptop to be writing on the blog all the time, but I am bringing a point-and-shoot camera to capture the moments with 4GB of memory and an extra battery, a card reader so I can upload photos to the blog, a memory stick with my important excel spreedsheets, 80Gb ipod for music/audio books, and camera adapter to upload photos from camera to ipod if my memory runs out, nano to use when I run, a triband phone to make/receive calls, sim cards, all-in-one adapter....and my verizon world phone (not in the photo) to get emails and google talk around the world...maybe even write on my blog.
SLR Camera and equipment - Looks like a lot of equipment, and it totally is...but I know I won't regret it when I can capture breathtaking photos. Tripod for evening shots, Nikon D70s, 18-200mm lens, 50mm fixed lens, remote control, charger, lens tissue, lens blower brush, extra battery, 10Gb of memory, card reader, and a camera wrap to protect my baby!
Miscellaneous items -Foldable carry-on duffel bag, nap covers for horrible zombi-ness, my Penguin mascot (still needs a name), pills...lots of pills, watch, head lamp so I can read in the dark, neck pillow for the long flights, and money belt to protect my passport and cash. I'm also bringing an ultra lite packtowel (not in photo).
Self protection - Pepper spray...you never know...especially if it's just two girls. Better safe than sorry...I'm bringing both!

Journal, pen and refill ink - I'm planning to keep my thoughts and experiences in this awesome journal. A good touch of old and modern. Can't wait to write in it! Also, the compact pen in blue ink is also very cool.
Essentials - Passport, passport cover
(to hide my citizenship), vaccination card and my around the world plane vouchers! How exciting!!!!

And all this fits into my backpack! Looks pretty full....
hence need to remove some items to make room for purchases.
2 comments:
I love this, I'm so excited to read about your travels hopefully when you get a chance to update!!!! And I love the preview of everything you're bringing!!! (We have the same tripod!) :D Have a great time and be safe, take care!!!!! Can't wait to see more!
Love the blog and I am looking forward to your entries. I cannot believe you squeezed all that into that bag...incredible. When I go to the pool with the whole family I end up with a huge bag that looks like I am traveling with you: 5 towels, floaties for the kids, pool toys, change of clothes after taking a shower and oh yeah, extra towels for the shower, sunscreen, etc. LOL! I will be going to disney world in two weeks and I afraid to pack for the 5 of us....
Post a Comment