Monday, August 25, 2008

The adventurous day at Victoria Falls Part II

Friday, 8/22 continues written by Priscilla

We then proceeded with the kellog crew to check out victoria falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world (we think). It was magnificent how big it is, and we only saw half of it because we didn't cross over to the zimbabwe side. Crossing over meant we had to pay a $30 visa into zimbabwe and alan would have to pay another $140 to re-enter zambia because he had a single entry visa (americans get multiple entry). Also we heard because its low water season, it doesn't really make a difference now since the falls were not completely covered by water. Vas showed us photos of when it was high water season and the falls were completely flowing with water from one side to the other...pretty cool.

After taking lots of photos of the falls we headed over to the Royal Livingstone hotel from where we were to take a boat over to Livingstone island, a private island at the edge of the falls. The boat ride was quick but fun, zipping across the water between some smaller islands heading directly for the edge of the falls. I did wonder what would happen if the engine cut out, but fortunately that didn't happen.

At the island we were greeted with a energy drink made of banana and milk before heading to go swimming by the edge of the falls. The island was nicely decorated with white table clothes and nice china, clearly done for classy people and not backpackers. It was a nice change.

It had been an adrenaline filled day already and swimming against the current of the falls was going to top it all, especially for me since I am not a strong swimmer and terrified of drowning. I was the first to alert the guide I am really nervous about the swimming but our guide, alex, reassured me that as long as I know how to swim it would be ok and that I would swim beside him the whole time.

We all held hands, walking one by one, across to the falls. Because of the current flowing towards the edge, we had to cut strategically by cutting across the current first then swimming with the current to the edge. The swimming was maybe only 10mins, but it was freezing and you really felt the current trying to drift you off to the falls. I was so proud of myself braving this and actually swam in fresh water...not even salty ocean water! After the swim we walked across to the edge of the falls. Steph and I sat side by side on a rock enjoying the view. Then we heard alex said to us , "this is where you get to swim in the devil's pool on the edge of the fall," literally where the water drops vertically. We can either jump in the pool or slide in and do a quick few strokes before getting to the edge.

Quite frankly, I was happy where we were, but knew I had to do it. This is a unique and special opportunity, I can't pass it up. A few people jumped in first, some made huge splashes and fancy flips, then alan went...then steph with her nose squeezed...I have to go too. I stood by the edge where you can jump, alex pointed where I needed to aim. As he saw my nervousness and hesitation, he reassured me I didn't need to jump and could just slide in if I wanted to...I know myself better than him. Little did he know I'm a brave little one and was determined to do it. I jumped in, kicked to surface, and took a few strokes to the sit on the edge of the falls. Amazing!

What made the devil's pool safe to swim in is before the waterfall drops, there is a rock wall that prevents us from being pushed over if you don't jump over. But every time someone splashed in the pool, I felt the strong currents thinking I might just tip over by accident.

This was a magical experience. I am so proud that I did this despite all my fears. The swim back was a bit more difficult for me because I felt the current was pushing me harder towards the fall...also it didn't help that alan was zooming by me and splashing me at the same time. He didn't mean it though. He was watching out for me like a good friend would.

Royal Livingstone had tea time snacks set up for us after the swim under a white outdoor tent, and cute table setting. High society I'm telling you. We had chicken and veggie tarts, mini steak sandwiches, cream puffs and brownies. Also, of course there was pimm's and diet coke too. Delicious.

After yummy in our tummy, we took the boat ride back and sat at the outdoor bar of the royal livingstone hotel and had drinks and watched the beautiful orange sunset. Of course things never end simply that way on this trip. There were crazy monkeys roaming around the bar stealing food from the guest plates. One even played tug-a-war with steph. It tried to grab one of my plastic bags while I was snapping photos and steph was pulling it away from the monkey. Very comedic. Steph said the monkey was pretty strong.

Getting home after the falls had closed was an issue. We tried to ask the hotel to call us a taxi but they only do car service which was 10,000 kwacha per person, a rip off compared to 2,500 kwacha in the end when we hailed off a shuttle from the main road...after walking 15 mins in the dark. Mind you 10,000 kwacha is $3 and 2,500 kwacha is 70 cents...not a lot but it's the principle of it all. Our shuttle guy even waited for us to get beer for our asshole game that night.

That was the last evening at jolly boys, of course we need to party it up. We made our left over pasta with tons of yummy veggies for dinner, the proceeded onto numerous games of asshole. Mainly alan and vas got the most wasted...but alan was mostly the asshole and vas the president or vice president. Asshole eventually got too complicated, so we switched onto the "froggie froggie jump" game, which some people had a hard time comprehending it by then...so we switched to an easier game...taboo. Alan was horrendous at it, couldn't describe the word without using the words on the card and got us minus 4 the first round. It's just a game, so it doesn't really matter. All I care about is the fun. Eventually at 3am we thought it was sensible to go to sleep since we had a long day of travelling to capetown the next morning.

No comments: