Finally the vacation has started. With one hour of sleeping, Anders and I went on a jet plane at the start of our three week trip. We start out in Naples to tour Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. Afterwards we will drive six hours to Sicily where we will spend a week plus touring around the island before we take a flight to meet Charlon in Malta. Ohhhhh, so exciting!
Our trip started exactly at 4:30am, when we took the bus to the airport express. Anders already started talking about the danger of Naples then. He is such a scaredy cat.
At 12:20 we finally arrived at Naples. The whole plane ride was basically us catching up on very much needed snooze. In total, I think we slept about 3 hours on and off. Not a good start for a day of touring Naples and driving down to Pompeii. Also, I had a work call at 12:30! What a life! On the work side, Anders got promoted to senior associate. Now we have more to celebrate!
It's 26 degrees here. We got our VW Polo from Hertz and quickly changed into shorts for our drive into Naples. To be safe we hid all our stuff in the trunk. We heard that theft is a huge problem in Naples. So off we went!
Driving in Naples was not exactly easy. The roads were confusing and extremely narrow. There's people and scooters appearing in all sorts of direction and people's dry racks on the road. Pretty insane. We were on our search for the best pizza in Naples - Statius a Materdei. Lydia lent us her gps, very kind of her, but it didn't help Anders find his way. Eventually we decided to park the car and go by foot. Anders became wary of his posh look - purple and white striped polo with toms and big wafer ray bans. He wanted to change, but I thought it was a bigger risk to show all our belongings in the trunk. He kept the outfit on.
It took us a while to find the pizzeria, but it was well worth the trip. They have fried pizza!!!! Sounds a bit strange, but man was it delicious. Anders said this was the best pizza he ever had. It's up there for me too. Best is hard to say. The whole meal only cost €18.50.
I read on trip advisor that there's supposed to be a very good pastry shop in town. So we went hunting for it. On the gps, it seemed like a decent walk, but since the whole idea was to explore, we attempted it anyway. I was leading...us the wrong way. Seriously it's like the blind leading the blind. After a while Anders and I realized the gps was changing it's mind on the location as we walked. We decided to give up on it and just walk into town.
Naples is a really dumpy city. Literally speaking. There's garbage everywhere. Being the New Yorker I am, I was afraid of a rat running out. Thank goodness that did not happen. After a few hours of walking aimlessly, we were done. We got ourselves some gelato and went back to the car.
The whole walk back we were wondering if our car got stolen in the meantime. Car theft is a huge issue in Naples. People literally have a steering wheel lock that covers the whole steering wheel...not just he pole ones you see in new york. Luckily for us the car was still there with no damage or ticket. Score! Unluckily or stupid of us we decided to drive out of the city at 5pm. The drive that was supposed to take 30mins to Pompei took us over an hour. I was not a good passenger seat driver as I fell asleep numerous times.
Pompeii resort was not easy to find. The building number was not recognized by the gps, but it found the street. Smart me told Anders to drive just a little bit further to find it. The hotel was pretty nice for €70 a night. It was a ten minute walk to the center, which we did in search of a restaurant. Anders and I walked for over an hour trying to decide on a place that wasn't so touristy. This is why we should use trip advisor all the time! Anyhow we eventually picked one and it turned out to be really good. I had tagliatelle with seafood and Anders had ravioli with cheese and tomatoes. Very delicious. The pasta was cooked al dente like it always should be.
After that we called it a night so that we could catch up on some snooze and have an early start the next morning.
Our trip started exactly at 4:30am, when we took the bus to the airport express. Anders already started talking about the danger of Naples then. He is such a scaredy cat.
At 12:20 we finally arrived at Naples. The whole plane ride was basically us catching up on very much needed snooze. In total, I think we slept about 3 hours on and off. Not a good start for a day of touring Naples and driving down to Pompeii. Also, I had a work call at 12:30! What a life! On the work side, Anders got promoted to senior associate. Now we have more to celebrate!
It's 26 degrees here. We got our VW Polo from Hertz and quickly changed into shorts for our drive into Naples. To be safe we hid all our stuff in the trunk. We heard that theft is a huge problem in Naples. So off we went!
Driving in Naples was not exactly easy. The roads were confusing and extremely narrow. There's people and scooters appearing in all sorts of direction and people's dry racks on the road. Pretty insane. We were on our search for the best pizza in Naples - Statius a Materdei. Lydia lent us her gps, very kind of her, but it didn't help Anders find his way. Eventually we decided to park the car and go by foot. Anders became wary of his posh look - purple and white striped polo with toms and big wafer ray bans. He wanted to change, but I thought it was a bigger risk to show all our belongings in the trunk. He kept the outfit on.
It took us a while to find the pizzeria, but it was well worth the trip. They have fried pizza!!!! Sounds a bit strange, but man was it delicious. Anders said this was the best pizza he ever had. It's up there for me too. Best is hard to say. The whole meal only cost €18.50.
I read on trip advisor that there's supposed to be a very good pastry shop in town. So we went hunting for it. On the gps, it seemed like a decent walk, but since the whole idea was to explore, we attempted it anyway. I was leading...us the wrong way. Seriously it's like the blind leading the blind. After a while Anders and I realized the gps was changing it's mind on the location as we walked. We decided to give up on it and just walk into town.
Naples is a really dumpy city. Literally speaking. There's garbage everywhere. Being the New Yorker I am, I was afraid of a rat running out. Thank goodness that did not happen. After a few hours of walking aimlessly, we were done. We got ourselves some gelato and went back to the car.
The whole walk back we were wondering if our car got stolen in the meantime. Car theft is a huge issue in Naples. People literally have a steering wheel lock that covers the whole steering wheel...not just he pole ones you see in new york. Luckily for us the car was still there with no damage or ticket. Score! Unluckily or stupid of us we decided to drive out of the city at 5pm. The drive that was supposed to take 30mins to Pompei took us over an hour. I was not a good passenger seat driver as I fell asleep numerous times.
Pompeii resort was not easy to find. The building number was not recognized by the gps, but it found the street. Smart me told Anders to drive just a little bit further to find it. The hotel was pretty nice for €70 a night. It was a ten minute walk to the center, which we did in search of a restaurant. Anders and I walked for over an hour trying to decide on a place that wasn't so touristy. This is why we should use trip advisor all the time! Anyhow we eventually picked one and it turned out to be really good. I had tagliatelle with seafood and Anders had ravioli with cheese and tomatoes. Very delicious. The pasta was cooked al dente like it always should be.
After that we called it a night so that we could catch up on some snooze and have an early start the next morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment