Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Capri for the day

Sunday, 26 June

Sorrento appears to be a very noisy city. Their church bells start their morning chimes at 7:30am, which woke me up since we're right next to them. I'm not sure what time we went home, but I was still very tired when I woke up. Anders was dead asleep, but I convinced him we should get an early start to head to Capri for the day. At 9am, we finally motivated ourselves out of the B&B. We went searching for breakfast, but ended up going to a shop to buy prosciutto, mozzarella and tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil on a roll. The old Italian man making this for us was so cute. He only spoke a few words of English, but it was good enough to communicate with us. It was a very good sandwich and much cheaper than us buying it from the store. So breakfast checked, we needed to buy towels. We found a place that had them, but I was too cheap to buy it, and hoped to find a cheaper one somewhere else. That never happened. We ended up buying it somewhere else for the same price EUR 10. Yes, not very expensive to begin with.

We took our walk back down the steep stairs to the port to get on the ferry to Capri. Round trip costs EUR 30. Pretty expensive for a 20 min ride. It's a must see, so we had to do it and I'm glad we did. Anders had the great idea of driving a scooter around instead of taking a bus. It wasn't so bad to rent the scooter, only EUR 50 for all day, including gas. As we were about to pay, the guy asked Anders if he knows how to do it and if he was comfortable driving around because it could be dangerous. The word of danger automatically gives Anders the chills. If you don't know him well, he's extremely risk adverse. Those questions made him doubt the whole thing. Especially when the man said it's very windy roads and it can endanger both of our lives. Being prudent, we opted to do some other things instead. We took the cable car to Marina Grande. It was across the island, but much posher than Sorrento. You can find all the name brands there, and I would imagine that's where all the celebrities go.

We took a long walk around the area. When I say long, I mean long. We first went to a garden with a great view point. The view was absolutely breathtaking. Anders spoke for an hour dreaming about who the rich people were on the boats. He's completely fascinated by the rich and their boats and houses. It's fun to hear it.

We walked a gagillion stairs down towards the water. At one point we decided to take a look at this small private bay. It was the never ending steps, and when we got down there, literally 4 steps from the bottom, I decided to change my mind and said I'd rather go to the public beach and not pay the EUR 18 per person. Anders wasn't so happy about that, but he agreed and we climbed all the way back up. The public beach was crazy crowded. It was a large pebble beach and people were literally inches from each other. Where we laid, there were feet almost touching our heads. It was still very nice and enjoyable. We stayed there for a few hours sleeping and taking a few dips along the way. Anders was desperately trying to get some color, but it wasn't happening. Around 3:30, we gave up and decided to explore the town a bit. We just roamed around the streets, and eventually came to a very residential area where this cute Italian woman gave us some tips on where to go. She spoke English very well and was a typical Italian grandma. Short, chubby, white hair, with a bright mumu. I loved her! Unfortunately the advice she gave us was to go to the beach we went to already. We just went back to the port at that point and had some wine and olives while we waited for the boat back to Sorrento. That small break was a bit too enjoyable, as time passed a bit too quickly and we had to run to the port so that we didn't miss the boat.

Back in Sorrento we decided to have a home made dinner. We bought a bottle of "very good" prosecco (not really that good after tasting it) and some meats, olives, cheese, and bread from the supermarket. We enjoyed all of that on our balcony. We drank the prosecco from small plastic cups (looks like the urine cups you get at the doctor's office) and ate our sandwiches on the espresso cup plates. Pretty ghetto, but it was still extremely nice. I even rocked out my sweatshirt on top of my dress. I don't care. Who said you have to be rich to enjoy a good life. This was definitely a fantastic day.

At around 11pm, Anders and I decided to have a stroll through town. We got some really good gelato, took some nice evening photos, and then finished off with a drink outside. We were people watching and it was fantastic. Commenting on the fabulous outfits people were wearing. At one point we saw an old short guy with this beautiful tall young blonde girl. We actually saw them on our walk first. Then I spotted them walking up the street where we were sitting and I told Anders "look look look," so he turned his head and it was totally obvious. Anders said I was so loud that people in front turned around!

No comments: